October 1, 2012 by Steampunkish Graphic Novels
My name is Ryan Hemphill and I am penning this blog for ‘Steampunkish’ short stories. Let me explain what I mean.
My ‘Steampunkish’ fiction is Steampunk-like but also has the following criteria…
- Must be based in part on historical research of the Victorian era.
- Must obey the laws of physics. (no mystical artifacts, mysterious ores, deux ex machina, etc.)
- Must be possible with Victorian technologies. (must be feasible at that time, albeit unlikely. No robotic arms.)
Is it really Steampunk?
Hard to answer that one. Steampunk provides a very flexible medium accepting all kinds of different plotlines and ‘universes’. I guess you could argue that I am on the outer skirts of the idea, which is why I call it ‘Steampunkish’ instead of Steampunk. That way, hopefully everyone is happy.
Why limit the stories to your rules?
- I like the challenge it provides.
- I enjoy writing weird ideas that are actually possible.
- Lots of material.
(There is some really crazy stuff that happened back then. You’ll see what I mean soon enough.)
- I like including my research in links at the bottom of each story.
(You can check out stuff that exists or really happened.)
- It actually makes my work more creative.
(Working within these constraints has produced results that are typically much better than the original thought.)
What is the first story?